Monday, August 10, 2009

The Importance of Research and Criticism in Writing

As a writer I tend to find myself being a critic as well sometimes. It comes in handy when I get the honor of editing work for other amazing authors on www.fanfiction.net. However, there is a difference between constructive criticism (which is what I give out), and just cold hard criticism. I prefer to not use the Gordon Ramsey/Simon Cowell type of criticism.
What I’m trying to say is this: I recognize mistakes in writing. But it isn’t simple spelling mistakes that bother me the most. What I find annoying is un-researched writing. Let me explain.
Since cop stories are my story of choice, I’ll use that as an example.
If there is a story saying that there was a ‘cop’ who worked in ‘this building’ and worked for ‘the murder unit’ I can tell that it’s been un-researched. But if there is a story saying that there was a Detective who worked at One Police Plaza for the Homicide Department, I can tell that this person did their research (or just knows what they’re talking about).
If someone were writing a story about an FBI Agent, it would be nice to look up a few things. Would this person have a partner? What type of cases would they work? What other law enforcement personnel would they work with?
If someone were writing a story where their characters go to another country it’d be beneficial to research the culture, the weather, the sights of the place.
Remember, other people are reading your work. They believe you. Misinformation is usually not a good thing, and pretending to be knowledgeable on something you don’t know much about can have bad results.
Ask for help. There are people who know more than you in some areas. They can help you. Another thing I find helpful are disclaimers. Often times you can get help through them. For example, “I’m sorry if the little music scene I have is wrong. I don’t play piano, so if I messed something up please feel free to tell me”.
See, I think that people are afraid to give - and receive- criticism. And I suppose that is plenty reasonable. No one likes having their mistakes pointed out to them; no one likes being told what doesn’t work. And no one likes to be on the giving end of criticism either. They’re afraid of coming off too…well, critical. But the truth is, constructive criticism can do wonders to your work. Often times you understand how you want something interpreted, but when you see it through someone else’s eyes you realize what needs improvement.
Often times the best reviews or critiques are the ones who are truthful, not the ones that tell you what you want to hear.

It’s all about balance, remember that.
Until next time,
~Mila

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I personally sometimes enjoy getting criticism. It tells me that people are actually reading my stuff and paying enough attention to point out something that's wrong. But, again, that's just me. But, I absolutely hate when people are extremely harsh, especially when it comes to just fanfictions and such. Fanfictions aren't published in a book or anything, they just float around on the internet and are written for fun and not for a career. When someone puts time into writing something, you should definitely consider that and help them, not put them down.

    Good post Mila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete